Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Mother's Funeral

I have never had to arrange a funeral before. I am so grateful for O'Connor Mortuary, they made everything go so smoothly. My Mother's friends from church were also a great help with arranging the building, flowers, program and luncheon. My dear Husband printed the programs and made a sideshow of pictures for display.
In preparation for the funeral my Aunt Susan, my Mother's good friend Leanne and myself went the day before to dress my Mother and do her makeup and hair. I was not sure how I was going to feel about doing this. It really ended up being a healing and sacred experience and I am glad that I decided to participate.
My brother Cameron and my Dad sitting during the viewing.
We brought some picture and my Mom's church friends made beautiful displays.
The service was nice. My Mom's twin sister Susan gave the eulogy. I heard many stories that I had never heard before. After the service the wonderful people at church served us a luncheon.
Angela sporting an attitude. She of course has her "eyes" aka sunglasses, juice, gold fish and fruit snacks. We tried to be prepared but Andy still had to spend time walking around in the foyer with Angie during the service.
A little out of focus but we actually got a picture of Darby's boyfriend Stephen smiling.
Me and my sister Darby.
This is Alfonzo and his wife. They ran the board and care home that Mom was in much of the time. They even had her living with them in their own home for a time.
Angie and her Uncle Cameron at home after the funeral.
I love Angie's snicker face in this picture. Later in the evening we went to dinner at the Soup Plantation. This was my Mother's favorite restaurant.

No comments: