Friday, August 19, 2011

My Crazy Body

Warning Female Medical Content

When I went to my six week postpartum appointment I was still bleeding pretty heavy. My doctor told me if I was still bleeding in two weeks to call her. Well two weeks later I was still bleeding pretty heavy so they scheduled an ultrasound. I arranged for a babysitter for both kiddos and expected this to be a quick appointment. Well the ultrasound tech says she wants to go and show something to the doctor and asked me to wait. Well....okay? I waited a while and the doctor comes in and wants to do the ultrasound and exam. It appears that there is something in my uterus. It might be leftover placenta, blood clot, fibroids or worse. The doctor tries to get to it with the exam but is unable. That was painful. She gives me the option of taking a medication to cause contractions to try and get it out or to go in for surgery. We decided to try the medication.

The ultrasound was on Monday and Tuesday I went to baby Ruby's funeral. So heartbreaking to see my dear friends go through the loss of their baby. You can click here to see their blog. After the funeral I started the medication. It was physically painful but thankfully Angie was down for a nap and Andy got home from work early to help out. I kept taking the medication the next day which was Angie's Birthday. Thankfully Grandpa Bob came over to help out. He is a life saver! The medication was supposed to cause some bleeding and then the bleeding was supposed to stop. The bleeding continued. So exhausting!! I called the doctor and she said the next step was surgery. Angie's Birthday party was planned for the weekend. We planned to have the surgery done on Thursday afternoon so that I could be somewhat up to Angie's party that weekend.

We arranged for a babysitter. I was nervous to leave 8 week old Danny with a teenage babysitter but really had to have the faith that everything would be fine. She really is a wonderful babysitter and now thanks to us has experience with little babies. If any locals want her number just ask. Went in for surgery and the good news is that the object in there was just some blood clots to big to come out on their own. The bad news was that they punctured a hole in my uterus and had to make a unplanned incision in my belly to repair it.

On Friday we had the teenage babysitter come to be here to help out while Andy's Mom was on her way for the weekend to help with the party. It was really nice to be here and give our sitter some hands on knowledge of how to care for a little baby. I was also grateful for Andy's Mom coming and helping to ensure a fun time for Angie's Birthday party.

I love my little boy and would go through this all over again if I had to for him to be here but this has really been a difficult recovery. Physically with all this bleeding and mentally/emotionally as well. I seem to have developed some postpartum anxiety issues. Although I am able to function okay they are still very difficult to handle and sometimes I feel paralyzed inside. I wish I could just snap out of it. I watch people like my friend who just lost her 7 month old baby and have such bigger problems than me. These crazy hormones stink! I feel so weak for not being able to just make this problem go away.

No comments: