Saturday, May 1, 2010

Free YMCA Swim Lessons, Angie's First


The local YMCA is having free swimming lessons for the month of May for anyone, even if you are not a YMCA member. When my friend Andrea told me I jumped on it! Angie is signed up for the parent and me swim class for the 6month to 3 year olds. They started out with singing this is the way we... to get them used to the water.
Angie is happy to be on her stomach in the water but as you can see later she does not like going onto her back.

This is an activity getting them used to having water splash in their face by singing "Motor boat, motor boat, go so slow, motor boat, motor boat go so fast..." Angie had a fun time with this one.
This activity is singing the Great Ol' Duke of York. I think this one was Angie's favorite.

In the video you can hear Angie laugh and then she claps at the end even though Andy dunked her all the way under.
I love this smile!
Here they are doing Itsy Bitsy Spider along the wall to teach pool safety so they are comfortable holding onto the wall.

She does not sing yet but she will clap at the end of the song. I think it is super cute!
This activity has them reach way out to get the ball floating in the water.
Then they taught them to climb out of the pool and wait until the parent tells them to jump back in.

I think this might have been Andy's favorite part.
It is really important to us that Angie learns how to swim. I am very grateful for this opportunity. Plus it is super fun :)
Just look at the smile on Andy's face.

I'm a Little Tea Pot to get them used to getting their ears in the water.
Lastly they sang Row, row, row your boat to get the kids to reach their arms out to learn some swimming technique. They also wanted them turn and float on their backs but Angie wanted nothing to do with this. Something to work on. This weeks lesson was so fun, I can't wait till next week.

No comments: