Thursday, March 12, 2009

Where to Begin

After breakfast Darby and I took Angie and went to our mothers while she was out to lunch with women from church. Short history is that I have not had a relationship with my mother for over 10 years due to past abuse and abuse that continued despite me doing all I could to make it stop. I basically realized that I could control my actions but not others and had to sever the relationship for my own sanity. Fast forward to current day my mother has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the age of 56 and is no longer safe to live at home. She needs to be placed in a board and care. Her church/ward family have been doing wonderful things to try and help her out but it is just no longer possible for her to live on her own. They are working on getting her placed in a board and care somewhere nearby. This leaves it our responsibility to go through all of her things to prepare the home for sale, so Darby and I went to see what will need to be done. Lets just say a picture is worth a thousand words. Note she is still living there in this condition.
Darby's expression in this picture says it all. Look at the huge crater in the mattress on one side.
Mother's bedroom.
Master bathroom with a yogurt left out.
The Loft.
One side of the garage.
The other side of the garage.
Living room. Small comic relief of Darby in the corner showing off the dress from the 80's my mother has left for her to inherit from her. Note it was the only thing in her box.
Dining room.
Computer desk in the living room.
Needless to say I feel very overwhelmed. The timing is not the best. We have to move out of our home to somewhere temporary in two weeks and my sister leaves in a week to go to Costa Rica for 6 weeks. It is difficult to figure out where to begin and how I am going to do all this while trying to do the things I need to do for my household and take care of Angie.

2 comments:

The Mulligan Family said...

Megan, my heart goes out to you. Not only do you have the physical work of moving and making your Mom's house liveable... but I'm sure your emotions are a bit like a roller coaster right now. Take things one day at a time - and remember to breathe. You're in our prayers. Love you!

Jenny Douglas said...

what a wreck! It's so interesting how sometimes people's physical environment reflect how they feel inside. Good luck. It will be over soon,*((&*&^^%#@#!!